Dental implants are modern dentistry's best way to replace missing natural teeth after accidents, disease, or extractions. After placing an artificial tooth root in your jaw, the dentist will add a crown to restore the function of your teeth. Dental implants are beautiful and natural looking, which makes them a solution for improving appearance or even restoring your full mouth.
Unlike dentures and partial plates that attempt to restore function, implants do the job effectively while looking as good as natural teeth or even better. Because it is rooted in your jaw, right where a natural tooth previously was, an implant helps keep other teeth from shifting out of place.
Benefits of Dental Implants
When compared to fixed bridges and removable dentures supported by other teeth or gum tissue, implants offer numerous advantages:
1. Better appearance: Like natural teeth, implants are placed in the gum, which makes their appearance more realistic and natural-looking than other alternatives.
2. Less bone loss: Extractions and other tooth losses leave a hollow space in your mouth which will weaken the bone structure that supports other teeth. Adding an implant in the space will stabilize the gum and reduce bone resorption or loss.
3. More secure: Full or partial removable dentures can be hard to keep in place, whereas implants which are fixed in the mouth do not have this problem. For patients who need multiple teeth replaced, strategically placed dental implants can completely stabilize dentures with special screws.
4. Preserve natural tooth structure: Implants do not compromise other teeth.
5. Long-lasting: While dentures may need replacement after 5 to 7 years, implants are permanent. Studies indicate that they are still going strong after 20 years.
If you are missing just one or two teeth, a bridge is often the way to fill the gap. Bridges stay in place by connecting with other teeth in your mouth, which can pose a hazard to those other teeth. Sometimes the existing tooth structure is interrupted, as teeth are cut down or removed to accommodate the bridge. In contrast, an implant is an independent unit that does not negatively impact nearby teeth.
If you have several missing teeth that might be best replaced by a denture, Dental & Dentures of Manchester offers mini-implants that attach dentures to your mouth. Our dental professionals are highly trained and are prepared to offer you a range of options for missing teeth. Call 603-641-5200 or click here to schedule your appointment for a free consultation.